Two and a Half Torches (Out of Five)
Okay, I’m kinda bummed. After last week’s terrific premiere of V, last night’s episode was decidedly underwhelming.
Sure, the “plot thickened” more or less, but I’m having a hard time remembering anything particularly memorable about the episode (and I took notes!).
Ironically, the episode was titled “There Is No Normal Anymore,” but except for an occasional picket sign, things are actually seeming pretty darn normal.
From interviews with the producers, I know that they were worried that since the story is a remake and most people are familiar with its basic plot elements, they were determined to get to the establishment of the “resistance movement” as quickly as possible.
It seemed like a good idea at the time, but I wonder if it really was. The series now seems both rushed and superficial — like the producers are just going through the plot-motions. Or maybe it’s just that there aren’t enough thrills.
But it’s a show about frickin’ lizard aliens! How can there not be enough thrills?!
Anyway, this poor episode, coupled with the fact that ABC has announced that it will air just two more episodes, then pull the show for “retooling” until March, has me worried that they don’t quite know what they’re doing here.
Still, I continue to be impressed by Morena Baccarin, who I think is absolutely sensational as Anna.
But everything else felt pretty by-the-numbers to me.
- SUPERNATURAL Episode Review (6-5): A Good, Old-Fashioned TWILIGHT Bashing
- Our Love Affair with Lizard Men!
- SUPERNATURAL Episode Review (6-9): Close Encounters of the Dean Kind
- Episode Review (1-1): THE WALKING DEAD Looks to be Like Nothing Else on Television
- SUPERNATURAL Episode Review (5-6): Sam and Dean Consider Giving the Anti-Christ a Good Spanking